Volunteer with YHAI
Why Become a Camp Leader of YHAI
Youth Hostels Association of India (YHAI) gives an opportunity to young people to gain a real time experience working on live adventure projects as a Camp Leader. YHAI invites applications for Camp Leader to work on its national level adventure programmes, which are recognized by the Government of India. YHAI is well recognized by government of India which offers special casual leave to its participants. YHAI as an affiliate of Hostelling International UK is recognized globally.
Objective of YHAI Internship Program is to assist young people in enhancing their overall personality to match real world challenges. It will be a big boost to the candidates who want to study abroad or scale higher positions in corporate ladder or personal life as they deal with logistics, accounting, and administration activities which are vital for any student. Not only the project givens exposure to real time work environment but also manage people from different backgrounds (educated participants, cooks / helpers).
Following perks may be given to the Camp Leaders who render 21 days service in the National Himalayan Trekking Expedition:
• Camp Leaders will be reimbursed second class sleeper rail fare including reservation charges for their journeys to New Delhi and back. They have to submit a photocopy of their rail ticket for forward and return journeys for claiming the T.A
• Incidental charges will be paid @ Rs.250/- up to every 1000 k.m. subject to a maximum of Rs. 1,000/- for both forward and return journeys
• Deluxe bus fare from Delhi to Kullu-Manali and back
• Track Suit and Cap on successful completion
• Rs.500/- for shoe allowance
• Stipend as per norms
All the Camp Leaders who successfully complete their tenure will get a certificate, which will give them a big edge in their future prospects.
Brief About the Profile
YHAI needs camp leader who will monitor and supervise the activities of various events and logistics for the participants. A total of 7000+ participants participate in various trekking activities. The participants in a group of 40-55 assemble at the base camp and move to the next base camp. The camp leaders will be located at each base camp and are required to manage all the logistics, participant concerns, staff (cooks/ helpers etc), and requirements to run the base camp successfully. Most of the participants who come to our programs are educated and young people who partake in these programs for their love of nature.
Some of the main responsibilities of a Camp Leader are –
• Work under the supervision of Field Director
• When posted to a higher camp you will be the administrative in-charge of the camp and responsible for day to day management of that camp
• Maintain the reputation and standard of the programme as set by YHAI National Programmes.
• Maintain discipline of the programme; guide the participants about schedule, safety, do’s and don’ts.
• Be very polite, humble and at the same time maintain strict discipline with the participants
• Basic accounting – maintain store records and ensure that inventory is always up-to-date by coordinating with the base camp
• Must be physically fit to undertake long and strenuous treks in the mountains as the internship deals with working at high altitude camps.
• You should be able to communicate with participants, cooks, helpers, porters and locals etc.
Preference will be given to those who have completed 02 National Himalayan Trekking Expeditions of YHAI or have participated in any of the trekking expeditions (especially Kullu -Manali) or love for adventure sports.
Duration: 4-8 weeks (The min period of service in the programme is 21 days up to max of 45 days)
How to apply
Interested people may apply in a prescribed form (Download) and send it along with the relevant documents to the following address-
Youth Hostels Association of India,
5, Nyaya Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi-110021
Tel: 7827999000, Fax: 011-26113469
Website: www.yhaindia.org, firstname.lastname@example.org